If you are an author – or know of one – who writes “Mer-Fiction” – Young Adult or otherwise – I would be happy to consider you as a potential interviewee. Over time, I plan to expand beyond this sub-genre but for now, I’m focusing on fantasies – urban or otherwise – about Mefolk. The interviews are intended to give the reader some insight into you, your plot and your characters as well as give you – the author – a chance to promote your book(s). In other words, entertain and inform.
The interviews are done in a Q & A format and the questions usually number twenty or more – hence the name, “Twenty Questions“. Here’s how it all works:
- If I have not done so already, I will read your novel and decide if it rates three to five Pipes (Stars) and merits a review. In the case of a series, I will read and review the novel(s) prior to the one that is the focus of the interview. By doing this, the interview can be part of the pre-release buzz.
- I will usually write a 600 to 900 word review and post it here on The Parsons’ Rant. The review will also be posted on Goodreads, the Merblog, Amazon, etc.
- I will then send you a list of at least 20 questions about you, your book and its characters – all based on my understanding of your novel. If I’ve got all or part of it wrong, please let me know. I’ve been married over 37 years so I’m quite used to being wrong – about most everything.
- You are free to modify almost any question as well as suggest substitute and/or additional questions. After all, no one knows your book better than you.
- The interview consists of:
- An introduction – That’s my bit
- A brief biographical sketch – This will be used as part of the Introduction.
- An opening statement – Something along the lines of “Gee, it’s great to be here”, etc.
- The Twenty Questions and Answers
- A closing statement
- In addition, I would like to have from you:
- A publicity photo – If possible
- A picture of the book’s cover – If possible
- A promotional banner – Between 444 to 650 pixels wide and 100 pixels high. If you don’t have one that can be resized, etc., I can cobble one for you. The banner will appear on the interview post and will also be added to the banner rotation for other pages. Clicking on the banner will take visitors to your website.
The purpose of the opening and closing statements is to give you every opportunity to promote your book. The statements can either be brief or several paragraphs. It’s all up to you.
As for the questions, avoid simple “yes” or “no” answers. Your readers will want to hear what you have to say so don’t be shy about doing one or more fair-sized paragraphs. If the interview as whole turns out to be too much material, I can split the interview over two or more posts.
You are welcome to as many return interviews as you like. We can do follow-up questions, etc.
While the content of the interview will become the property of The Parsons’ Rant, you are free to use the interview for off-site promotional purposes. While I would prefer that you link to the interview itself here on The Parsons’ Rant, you are more than welcome to copy it verbatim to use directly on your website(s) as long as you include some sort reference and link to my site.
That’s all there is to it. I usually advise authors to think of this as a radio interview without the microphone. If you want to be interviewed or have questions, please feel free to communicate by clicking “Contact” under the ‘About This Site” tab on the menu/navigation bar at the top of the page. I look forward to hearing from you.
Howard Parsons, Grand Inquisitor
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!