Howard T. Parsons
434 975 3282
A Senior Software Engineer with 35 years of experience developing programming languages, textual processing and system management applications in a global corporate environment. Proven proficiencies in Perl, PL/1, Java, Assembler and COBOL. A team leader with the ability to collaborate and coach effectively in order to achieve timely business results and creative solutions.
TECHNICAL SUMMARY or COMPUTER PROFICIENCY
Perl, ANT, PL/1, Java, C, Assembler, PHP, XML, (X)HTML, Dream Weaver, CSS, MySQL, MS Word, MS Excel, Power Point, Outlook, IBM VSAM, IDMS, IBM z/OS, JCL, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, MS Access, Linux
SAIC, Charlottesville VA November 2010 to November 2011
Sr. Software Engineer
Installed and tested server software for the AIMES project on local and remote servers. Provided critiques of installation procedures, reviewed, corrected and updated documentation.
Parsonage Data Services, Charlottesville, VA September 2008 to November 2010
A sole proprietor company providing IT support for individuals and small businesses. Technologies included Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Perl, PHP, MySQL. Designed and developed websites, provided PC repair, consulting, training and IT support for small businesses in the Charlottesville, VA area. Served as President of the Charlottesville Chapter of Business Networks International during this time period.
LEXIS NEXIS, Charlottesville, VA October 1982 to September 2008
Senior Software Engineer (1997 to 2008)
A nationally known provider of legal, business and government information both online and in printed publications. Served as application developer and primary support for the Editorial Automation System (EAS). Technologies included PL/1, Perl, IBM VSAM, JAVA and UNIX.
- Served as the Technical Lead on the Automated Annotations and Statutes Navigation project.
- Developed a series of robotic applications to automatically and reliably service various publishing functions within the company with little or no human intervention.
- Performed QA Testing on new and upgraded systems.
- Used Perl, PL/1 and JAVA to provide data extraction, data conversion and loads to online databases.
Text Project Manager (1989 – 1997)
Tasked with responsibility for Editorial Automation System data conversion and information export applications. Technologies included PL/1, Perl and IBM VSAM.
- Managing a team of extremely talented analyst/programmers from 1990 through 1996.
- Created a data formatting system for the on-line graphical representation of tabular material and legal forms.
- Developed flexible, modular data conversion tools for database publishing systems
- Used PL/1 to develop applications to extract and convert data for transfer between different database systems.
Analyst/Programmer (1982 – 1989)
Developed data conversion applications and performed system analysis as preparation for the Editorial Automation System project. Technologies included IDMS, PL/1, IBM MVS and VSAM.
- Developed device driver applications for laser printers as part of the manufacturing pre-press process.
- Participated in the Editorial Automation Development project designing and implementing database import/export tools.
- Invented the TOOL programming language in 1987 to enable easy and rapid development of flexible publication specifications.
- Developed data conversion applications in PL/1 to effect rapid and accurate loading to database systems.
- Used PL/1 to transfer data between the company database systems and the proprietary data retrieval systems of clients.
- Developed data load, extraction and reporting tools in COBOL for use with the company’s IDMS database installation.
- Attended IDMS training in Atlanta, GA.
The Harrison Company, Norcross, GA May 1979 to October 1982
A regional legal publisher with a nationally known portfolio of legal treatises.
Developed and maintained electronic publishing applications and data analysis tools. Technology included NCR NEAT/3 and NEAT/VS, RPG and COBOL.
- Developed device drivers for Autologic APS-5 Photo Composer.
- Developed time and effort saving data analysis applications.
- Developed footnote placement and re-pagination applications.
- Helped to secure contracts for treatise publications by rapidly developing reliable programmatic solutions to meet client’s publishing and layout requirements.
Peachtree Warehouse Distributors, Chamblee, GA September 1977 to May 1979
Operator/Programmer, Data Processing Manager
Developed specialty reporting systems and task automation enhancements.
- Assisted in the implementation and installation of an on-line data entry and ordering system
- Served as DP Manager until the company ceased operations.
Capitol Food Distributors, Atlanta, GA March 1976 to September 1977
- Served as second shift computer operator for a large regional food purveyor.
Best Products Company, Richmond, VA June 1974 to October 1975
- Served as second shift computer operator for a chain of catalogue showroom stores.
1974 BS, Biology, North Carolina Wesleyan College, Rocky Mount, NC
1977 – 1979 Graduate Studies in Virology, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA